Posted in random


Last night, I fell into bed, completely wiped out. I made myself go to bed early (that would be 11 PM). I had been soundly asleep for over an hour when I was rudely awakened by the spastic seizure-inducing lights of an HPD squad car.

Don’t get me wrong, I know a handful of police officers here in Houston. I admire them for how they bravely get in their cars day and night and patrol these streets, often alone, to face whatever this crazy city throws at them. I also admire them for the 40+ pounds of gear they have to wear and still be mobile enough to chase perps (I love that word) and quickly get in and out of their cars…(and we just thought TJ Hooker was wearing a girdle, but I digress).

From what I could tell from peeking out my bedroom window, the officer had been called for a domestic dispute involving a man, a woman, and the broken back window of a fairly new Cadillac. The man was handcuffed in the back of the car for quite some time, but eventually, he was released and he went into the garage with this woman and two other guys who appeared to have been previously asleep as well. I really don’t know what happened because there had been no screaming, I didn’t hear the glass break, if indeed it had been broken just outside my window (plastic had been applied because it was raining).

All I really know is I was finally asleep, then I was jolted awake by the spastic lights of the squad car reflecting off the garages and the tin roof of my covered parking. My once dark room reminded me of the attic in my childhood home, complete with the strobe light my brother had added to our “disco.” If I’d just had a black light and neon crayons, I would have been all set for a trip down memory lane.

Eventually, the officer drove away, having diffused what looked like a very intense situation. I tried to return to sleep, but sleep did not return quickly. My mind still raced with images from an accumulation of very busy, very intense, very strange days. Instead of sleeping, I’ve been doing a lot of praying, which in itself isn’t bad, but too many nights in a row without quality sleep and I’m the one requiring all night prayer-a-thons.

I finally slept again for about four hours, which, in the world of me, is amazing. Still, when I woke up, it didn’t feel like enough. I may try to go to bed early again tonight and see if it helps. Maybe I shouldn’t watch basketball or baseball games that last until 11 PM before I try to go to bed… Perhaps, I should just pray that everybody in close proximity to my bedroom is getting along tonight.


I seek to live, breathe & work creatively. Late bloomer. I survived breast cancer and so much more. I will meet each challenge w/determination, badassery & sass!

One thought on “OH FOR SOME ZZZ’S

  1. ha ha yeah…had that happen before. except it was in the dorms. of course we always loved being woken up at 3 am by a fire alarm because someone with really long and thick hair dried their hair too close to the smoke alarm and caused the fire alarm to go off. those were fun nights. even more fun when you’re in the middle of your shower. except not fun. at all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s